Beloved, over the past few weeks I’ve had a chance to introduce myself, meet a few folks, and begin to learn about University Congregational Church. I thought I’d take a chance to share a few things about me that might not pop up in these conversations.
- I love having a soundtrack to my day. Since I’m not much of a musician myself, I have cultivated a deep and diverse love of music. Making playlists is one of the ways I show love to others – from Mixtapes I gave Jen when we were dating to curated lists on Apple Music. Though I might play some Coltrane, Rend Collective or Bob Marley, my two passions are jam bands and hip hop. When live shows start to happen you can assume if Phish comes to town, I’m taking the day off!
- Most of the time our family vacations are camping trips, often to National Parks.
- I grew up collecting comics. Naturally, I love superhero movies. In LA, one of our church leaders worked at a comic shop which sparked me picking up my old hobby.
- In college I auditioned to be Monte, the mascot of the University of Montana. For one glorious half I got to put on the bear-head. I wasn’t chosen but it was a blast!
- Tulips > Roses
- My favorite contemporary fiction author is Christopher Moore.
- Jerbi is an Italian name, but there’s no “J” in the Italian language. Coming through Ellis Island, Giuseppe Gerbi from the village of San Ponso became Joseph Jerbi who settled in South Wilmington, Illinois.
- Texting tends to get the fastest response from me. Email tends to be the slowest.
So, there are a few highlights for you as we begin this work of making community together!