Budgeting for Love & Justice
A significant portion of the money we pledge each year goes to the Love & Justice Ministry. What happens to it?
In alignment with our covenant to “live responsibly within Your creation” and “to promote Your reign of justice and peace, meeting hate with reconciling love,” the Love & Justice Committee spends our entrusted funds to support the work of our Love & Justice Action Teams and 501c3s, as well as community organizations involved in direct service and social change.
In 2022, we had the joy of sharing about $30,000 from the church budget. We also allocated the interest from the Love & Justice Ministry Endowment ($25,528), formed during our last Capital Campaign, and $1500 from a revolving fund. Some money is kept in reserve for emergency needs for the final months of the year.
We invite new committee members to do this faithful and joyful discernment with us!
Love & Justice outlays can be categorized in a number of ways. For instance, we gave about $19,000 to organizations offering direct service, $11,600 to communities engaged in advocacy and systemic change, and $23,800 to support our Love & Justice Action Teams and UCUCC-related 501c3s. $1000 went to the national UCC Offering, Strengthen the Church, to build leadership within the denomination.
In determining contributions, we also use the lens of our five Love & Justice priorities, adopted in 2018. This pie chart shows how we have distributed 2022 moneys by priority. It does not include our Special Offerings or Superfluity donations.
Curious about the specifics of these contributions? They are listed below, in descending order of contribution size within each category.
Economic Justice (these often have a strong element of racial justice as well): $17,000
- UCUCC Hunger Outreach Team
- University Churches Emergency Fund
- ROOTS Young Adult Shelter
- Interfaith Task Force on Homelessness
- UCUCC Youth & Adult Teen Feed Dinner Action Teams
- Teen Feed
- Neighborcare Health – 45th Street Youth Clinic for youth experiencing homelessness
- Jubilee USA (advocacy for debt relief for countries of the global south)
- Bread for the World
- UCC Hurricane Relief Fund
Dignity, Equity and Belonging: $10,200
- UCUCC Immigrant Justice Action Team/Afghan Refugees Resettlement
- Roanoke Park Counseling (scholarships for adults who were sexually abused as children)
- Mental Health Chaplaincy
- UCC Strengthen the Church Offering (supporting UCC leadership development, new churches, youth ministry, and innovation in existing congregations)
- People’s Harm Reduction Alliance
Racial and Indigenous Justice: $4700
- Black Girls Magic Academy/GATE (from Emma Frater Fund)
- Real Rent Duwamish
- Chief Seattle Club
- UCUCC Advocates for Racial Justice
- Washington Poor People’s Campaign
Peace and Reconciliation: $3100
- International Red Cross
- International Rescue Committee
- Amnesty International: honorarium for congregational workshop
Environmental Justice: $2800
- Earth Ministry/Washington Interfaith Power & Light
- UCUCC Sacred Earth Matters
Overlapping Priorities: $17,600
- Church Council of Greater Seattle
- Faith Action Network
- Tri-Cities Mutual Aid Fund (for farmworkers)
- Peace & Justice Advocates
In addition to budget funds distributed by the Love & Justice Ministry, our congregation donates monthly through a Special Offering to a specific organization. So far this year, our community has given generously to:
- 350 Seattle (climate change & climate justice), January: $3070
- Selinda Hospital in Zimbabwe, February: $4575
- One Great Hour of Sharing (national UCC offering), March: $3990
- Mwanzo, April: $12,368
- International Red Cross for relief in wars in Ukraine, Yemen and more, May: $4986
- The Trevor Project (crisis services for LGBTQ young people) – Youth-planned offering, June: $3006
- Hunger Outreach, July: $7181
- Green Buildings Now, August: $3,200
Not yet finalized:
- UCUCC Child Care Programs, September
- Neighbors in Need (national UCC offering), October
- Global Hunger Crisis, November
- The Christmas Fund (national UCC offering), December
Thank you so much for all your generosity in reaching out with love to our wider world!