The Council of the University Congregational United Church of Christ met on January 20, 2021 via Zoom. A quorum was noted at 7:06 pm and the meeting was called to order by Terry Moore.
After a prayer and a grounding exercise, we shared gifts and memories from Todd (and Allison’s) time with us. Amy lead us all in a prayer to send Todd off with our blessings and well wishes.
Council received an update on the building and COVID related work
MERV 13 filters will be installed in the first week of February. MacDonald Miller is also still working on the improvements to the ventilation. Because of the emerging more infectious strain of COVID, use of the building for small meetings etc. is on hold. Kyna has also been checking in with our building partners to be sure protocols and procedures are clear and in place. A new process of temperature checks for anyone entering the building has also been instituted.
We came out of 2020 very blessed. A group will be formed to consider ways to further our mission with some of our unexpected excess funds.
Down payment assistance for Pastor Steve Jerbi
Council voted to authorize pastoral housing support (a loan) to assist Pastor Steve Jerbi with down payment assistance.
- A similar program is in use by the University of Washington for new professors and researchers.
- This is not income for the recipient, so it does not have an effect on our compensation. The loan becomes another (very small) investment of our endowment funds.
- Council acknowledged the issue of equity with our existing pastors who already have settled housing, and will have additional discussions with Amy and Catherine to identify equitable options that might be of interest in their particular situations.
Other items of business and announcements
Council approved the use of $24,000 from our 2020 surplus as income for the 2021 Operating Budget.
Council approved and welcomed new people to the following committees:
- Four people were invited to join the Personnel Committee: Joyce Jackson, Virginia Felton, Kathryn Murdock, and John Worthington.
- Vince Santo Pietro will join Facilities & Equipment.
- Gina Massoni and Sarah Marshall will join the Children’s Ministry Committee.
Council approved a motion designating forty-percent of the salary of any minister on staff as housing allowance pursuant to Section 107 of the Internal Revenue Code”
Catherine Foote has been participating with a team of clergy – FLAG (Faith Leaders Action Group) – to prepare a statement pledging to respond rapidly to requests for support when hate vandalism or hate actions take place. She shared with us the link for the document which was finalized and released 2 days ago. UCUCC policy is for Council to be informed when our name or one of our pastors’ signs onto a statement that is political. UCUCC has already taken a stance on this issue. Amy supports this work as well.
Summary respectfully submitted by Mary Sue Galvin, Council Secretary