University Congregational United Church of Christ Council Meeting Summary
September 21, 2022
This was a hybrid meeting (in person and via Zoom).
The UCUCC Council met on September 21, 2022. This meeting was a hybrid meeting with in-person and Zoom attendees.
Council spent a good part of the meeting time having a “deep dive” discussion about our racial justice efforts. Breakout groups focused on what we have noticed about “communication, coordination and collaboration in our racial justice work.” Council members were given homework to work on with their ministries for the next quarterly Racial Justice collaboration. Each ministry is to consider how their work relates to the Racial Justice Resolution? What are the ministries’ strengths and weaknesses in the area of Racial Justice, and what are the barriers to doing Racial Justice work within the ministry?
Reports and Old Business were reviewed and discussed:
- Sunday attendance is steady at about 120 people in person and 50-60 on-line. The digital service is back as of 19 September.
- The Covid-19 team will review UCUCC’s guidelines but these may not change significantly despite WA State ending Covid-19 restrictions on October 31. UCUCC has been more cautious (in order to be more inclusive) in our Covid-19 precautions.
- Finances: We are basically on budget. We have a shortfall in our rental income. Personnel spending has increased due to our decision to increase wages, but this will be offset by borrowing from the endowment. We will likely have a shortfall of about the same amount as last year.
- The Asset Enhancement Task Force is continuing the process of inventorying assets.
- Settled Pastor Search Committee provided an update.
Council discussed and unanimously approved a proposal to form a congregant led Church Health Task Force to evaluate how well the church is meeting the expectations of its members. First tasks include the task force’s defining scope of work and a timeline. Regular progress reports will be provided to the congregation as well as to Council and the ministers.
The next council meeting will be held on October 19 2022 at 7 pm, with the option of attending in person or via Zoom.