Seeking nurturing, collaborative, creative partner in team ministry
University Congregational United Church of Christ (UCUCC) in Seattle is seeking candidates for the permanent, full-time position of Minister of Worship and Care (MWC) within our framework of co-equal team ministry.
As a church, our vision is to walk together on God’s transformative adventure, following a path of love and justice as revealed to us by Jesus. We aspire to be a place of vibrant Christian worship, nurturing community, and imaginative spiritual growth, where each congregation member lives out God’s call to advance God’s kin-dom of peace and justice.
To balance our deep-rooted engagements across numerous social justice initiatives (anti-racism work, housing the unhoused, environmental justice, LGBTQ+ justice, feeding the hungry), we seek a pastor whose nurturing pastoral presence and experience in building effective Parish and Pastoral Care ministries will help us to strengthen and innovate our internal ministries of care and spiritual growth.
The right pastor will further bring familiarity with and excitement about the innovative technologies that can be deployed to evolve online worship, continue our tradition of diverse, creative worship and music and a genuine delight in fostering connections both within our walls and into the wider world.
We are an active community of more than 750 members, with average Sunday attendance (when we met in person) of 275. A full description of our church and the position can be found in our
The University UCC Website, provides helpful resources as candidates seek to learn more about our church. Within the Resources section of the site, the following articles may be helpful: 129th Annual Report, Futures Task Force, Church Governance (How our Ministries are organized).
The Archive of Sunday services may also prove useful.
Links to resources not on UCUCC website
Job Description Minister Of Worship And Care
Racial Justice Resolution
Article On Taking A Coillaborative Approach To Worship Planning
February 22, 2020 Staffing Proposal On Minister Roles
2022 Budget Approved By Congregation 11 12 2021
UCUCC Eleven Year Church 2010 2020
Quick InSite Report
The Marks of Faithful and Effective Ministry
Our church has three co-equal pastors in a team ministry. Together the three ministers make up the Leadership Team. The position that is the subject of this search is the Minister of Worship and Care.
All members of the Leadership Team, including the Minister of Worship and Care, share certain duties, including:
- Conducting worship and preaching (equally divided among the three ministers)
- Supporting the lay leadership of the church
- Pastoral care
- Dedication to the success of the team ministry model, fostering teamwork, emphasizing collaboration
- Commitment to promoting an environment that is actively engaged in dismantling institutional racism
The Minister of Worship and Care also has duties that are specific to their position, including:
- Leading the planning and organization of worship and music, including managing the production of online worship (done with the support of lay volunteers, the Director of Music, and/or contract staff)
- Leading and supporting the congregational care ministry
- Direct supervision of program staff for worship and care.
Desired experience and abilities
- At least three years of experience in parish ministry or equivalent work, life or educational experience
- Solid understanding of progressive theology
- Excellent preaching
- Collaborative approach to ministry, suitable for team ministry
- Experience in planning and overseeing both online and in-person worship
- Experience facilitating the creation of entry points to deepen engagement and community and inspiring volunteers
- Team and relationship building skills with excellent follow-through.
Compensation will range from $70,000 to $95,000 per year depending upon education and experience.
Further information and how to apply
University UCC seeks a new parner for its team of three co-equal ministers