September 15, 2021
The Council of the University Congregational United Church of Christ met on September 15, 2021 via Zoom. A quorum was noted at 7:02 pm and the meeting was called to order by Terry Moore. Minutes from July 21 Council meeting were accepted.
Cynthia MacLeod and Diane Schmitz, our Racial Justice consultants, led a grounding exercise. We discussed (in small groups) the level where we feel we are in terms of development as an anti-racist.
We also commented on, as church leaders, what we are personally committing to that will sustain the development of our individual racial consciousness.
Cynthia and Diane reported on the activities they have been doing with the Leadership team, LPRC and the Personnel committee, and some plans for their future work.
Council Heard updates from/regarding:
- Worship and Music
- Welcome Committee (Calling and Engagement Ministry)
- Racial Justice
- Covid-19 & Emergence: recommendations have not changed and include: to not share food and drink, to not have choir and no in-person congregational singing. Kyna will bring the question of sharing food and drink outside to the Covid-19 action team this coming month.
- 3 Pastor Model: The plan was to revisit this model when Catherine retired. Kyna, Terry, Ed and others feel confident that we should continue down the path of hiring a 3rd pastor upon Pastor Catherine’s retirement. Opportunities are being planned for Council and congregation members to have more discussion.
- Bridge Minister Search committee: The position is advertised as starting December 1, and is expected to be for less than 1 year. The committee is hoping to begin a first round of interviews in October. Response to the offer has not been as robust as hoped and this mirrors a nationwide trend.
- The formation of a Leadership Profile Team to review a change in profile requested by Pastor Steve Jerbi.
- Funding for the Bridge Pastor Search Team
General Announcements / Other business:
- November 17, will be the council budget meeting.
- November 24 will be the congregational budget meeting.