Ministry for Children (Infant – 5th Grade)
When a child is baptized at University Congregational UCC, they receive two deep blessings—one from God the Creator, and another from the church community. The congregation makes a pledge to love and protect that child, to help them grow in Christian love, to help them experience God. We live out this pledge by seeking to be inclusive of families in all our church activities.
A Little About Children’s & Family Ministry At UCUCC:
UCUCC has a rich history of children’s, youth and family ministry. Over the pandemic we stayed connected over zoom gatherings, worship leadership, online programs and at-home kits for faith formation. As we have emerged from the pandemic, we have focused on relationships, helping our children connect with their friends and volunteer leaders. We are balancing bring back traditions, with creating new ways of being together. We’ve had a wonderful year full of Sunday morning programs, Fellowship Events, Service Projects, Retreats/Camp, parent/caregiver gatherings and other programs! We are grateful for our thriving community of families! All families are welcome and celebrated! If you are looking for a church community focused on faith formation, justice, anti-racism, progressive theology, and family ministry, we would love to welcome you at UCUCC!
Sunday Mornings at UCUCC:
Before worship, families are invited to connect in the lounge, where there are some activities set up for the kids to play. Then for worship, children join their families for the start of worship, often sitting together in the front pews. Shortly into the service they depart for Sunday School Program.
During the school year we have 4 classes:
- Lambs = Infant – 2’s
- Fish = 3’s – 4’s
- Whales = Kindergarten – 2nd
- Eagles = 3rd – 5th
First Sundays of the month, Kindergarten – 5th grade gather for Children’s Chapel.
If you have questions about the Children’s Ministry Program, please feel free to contact us!
Family Registration Form
If you plan to participate in the Children’s Ministry Program at UCUCC, please fill out our Family Registration Form.
Programs throughout the year
Programs for children and families go well beyond Sunday morning. We offer fellowship events for families to connect, workshops for adults, support for church-wide events and more. Below is a sampling of what we offer throughout the year beyond Sunday morning programs. Children’s & Youth Calendar 2023 – 24
- HopeComing Event (church wide event)
- Trunk or Treat
- Fall Family Retreat (open to children and youth families)
- B.L.A.S.T. Ministry for 4th & 5th grade (year long program)
- Advent Workshop (church wide event)
- Christmas Eve Pageant & Children’s Choir
- Winter Fellowship event (Ice Skating or other event)
- Easter egg dyeing fellowship night
- Easter Egg Hunt (Easter Sunday)
- Children’s Choir
- All Church Summer Camp at Seabeck (programs for children, youth & adults)
- Popsicles in the Park (4th Sundays of June, July, & August)
- Family BBQ Fellowship event
- School Supply Drive
Children’s Ministry Staff
- Margaret Irribarra Swanson serves as our Director Of Children, Youth & Family Ministries.
- Carolyn Johnson Davis serves as our Children’s Ministry Coordinator.
- Holly Hendrickson serves as our Early Childhood Caregiver.
- Bryan Cho & LaDrina Davis serve as our Childcare helpers.
- Rev. Steve Jerbi serves as the Minister of Worship and Christian Formation.
You are invited to be a Sunday Children’s Group co-leader
Being in a classroom with our congregation’s children is an opportunity to play, experience fellowship, and explore and deepen our own faith, and by so doing, serve as models for them. We never need to go into any children’s group believing we have all the knowledge and all the answers. Classroom leaders help hold a safe space for learning about faith and connecting with friends.
Our Safer Church Policy
We take our responsibility for the safety of our children seriously. Every adult who works with children in Church—whether as a Sunday school teacher, a child care provider or an assistant—undergoes a criminal background check. There are always at least two adults present when there are children in the room.
To learn more about our programs, you can contact either Carolyn Johnson Davis (Children’s Ministry Coordinator) or Margaret Irribarra Swanson, (Director Of Children, Youth & Family Ministries). They can help integrate families with children into the church community.